Most people do not look forward to being in the dental chair. But for some, the anxiety can become so strong that it prevents them from going to the dentist entirely. This can result in problems even further than oral complications. Studies now link it to illnesses including heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
It is important to gain control of your dental anxieties to ensure that you attend all of your appointments for your overall health. We have compiled our top five to calm the nervousness and get you through your appointments with ease.
Our top five tips to overcome dental anxiety include:
- Plan Ahead – Make your dental appointment on a day that is errand and appointment free if possible. You would want to avoid having an appointment Pick a time of day that will allow enough time that you will not be in a rush. Minimizing your stress level on the day of your dental appointment will help keep your anxiety down.
- Review Sedation Options – Discuss which options would be suitable for you including local anesthesia and if you would benefit from nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to make your visit more comfortable and relaxing.
- Avoid Caffeine & Sugar – Too much of either can leave you feeling more anxious and often jittery.
- Utilize Relaxation Techniques – Slow and deep breathing techniques are helpful before and during your appointment and can have a calming effect.
- Distractions – Listening to the music of your choice through headphones will keep your mind occupied and minimize the sounds from dental procedures that can be unpleasant for some.
We quite frequently have patients that are fearful and we take every step necessary to create a calm and pleasant atmosphere for each one of our patients. If you have additional questions about relaxation techniques and overcoming dental anxiety, please call Palm Harbor Premier Dental at (727) 349-3615. Our friendly staff is ready to help.