Certain beverages that stain your teeth that have more staining potential than others. The presence of pigmented molecules called chromogens and the acidity of the drinks both cause staining. There are also drinks that contain compounds that boost the chromogens’ ability to attach to the enamel of your teeth. These are called tannins. If a beverage contains chromogens and tannins together, the probability for staining is increased substantially.
Coffee and Tea
In general, the darker the beverage, the more staining can occur such as coffee. Although coffee contains high levels of chromogens. It is low in tannins. Tea, however, is rich in both chromogens and tannins making it quite possibly the bigger stainer of the two.
Both Red and White Wine
Red wine is an acidic drink that contains chromogens and tannins making it more likely to cause staining. The acid in white wine can etch away at your teeth leaving them more porous and susceptible to staining.
Sodas and Sports Drinks
Sodas and sports drinks are highly acidic and help promote staining by other foods. The darker sodas are also chromogen rich.
Consider the dark pigment in juices such as grape and cranberry. Berries are chromogen rich and so are the beverages containing them. Most juices are highly pigmented and cause staining on your teeth.
Things you can do to limit staining:
- Try adding milk to your coffee or tea to lighten it up a bit.
- Consider consuming less
- Rinse with water after drinking
- Drink through a straw to bypass the fronts of your teeth
- Have herbal teas instead of black tea
Treatments for Stained Teeth
- Take Home Bleaching – a simple and affordable way to remove teeth staining due to things we eat and drink.
- Deep Bleaching Treatments – for people looking for the whitest smile, deep bleaching is the best-known tooth whitening solution, and it can leave your teeth significantly whiter than other teeth whitening solutions.
- Veneers – for people with staining not due to eating and drinking but maybe due to medications or old bondings, Veneers are the best option.